Thursday, March 09, 2006

Holy Cow

The Canadians beat the US baseball team yesterday in the first World Baseball Classic. I know, I know, I didn't want to believe it either. But it's in the New York Times.

Now, I was expecting to face some competition from, say, the Dominican Republic. But Canada? Didn't they just shut down the Expos because no one went to the games?

My boy Varitek hit a grand slam, but Red Sox youngster (and Canadian) Adam Stern thwarted US efforts by driving in four runs and making some great plays in the field. Will I be able to fully support this Stern kid when MLB play begins?

I was surprised to see there are teams competing from Italy, South Africa, and the Netherlands. Anyone think this thing could actually catch on? Are Americans paying attention at all?

No comments: