Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Settling In

Tomorrow is our one month anniversary in Kragujevac. Dan finally starts classes next week and we're getting things going at the American Corner. So far we've had two discussion groups and one cultural presentation on baseball. Everyone talks about how excited they are that we're here (for many of them, we're the first Americans they've ever met) but it's hard to read their reactions to our programs. So we're merrily plugging along, hoping that people are finding us entertaining / informative.

Of course, I've been putting together some programs for children and I have my first event next Wednesday. I'll be having a "spooky tales" storytime and then a Halloween party on the 31st. I have no idea what kind of crowd I'll get. Up until a few years ago, kids started English in fifth grade, and now they start in first grade. So I could get a weird mix of ages and language levels. Bobbing for apples should be fun for everyone, though, as long as no one loses a tooth.

Right now my only obligations are to the American Corner, and that adds up to just few hours a week. I'd like to get more projects going because I don't think I'll make much of a housewife. One of the professors at the university has asked me to give her methodology class a talk on children's lit. - I could have a lot of fun with that, but I need to get a better idea of what she's looking for. Also, we're starting Serbian lessons next week, so when Dan and I come back to the US we'll basically have a secret code. Most people think it's cute and amusing that we want to study Serbian. I think it would be rude if we didn't even make an effort, plus we live here - getting around will be much easier if we don't have to rely on people to translate for us or hope we come across anglophones.

All in all, I'm happy to report that we're settled in and content in our new city. I'm looking forward to finding some good work that will be useful to our fabulous hosts and challenging for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you, Meaghan, and also to Dan! It sounds so exciting, just generally different, maybe scary, but it seems like you're embracing it with open arms. We've been discussing your blog at the B&N and our thoughts are with you!