Thursday, November 10, 2005

Zagat Kragujevac

Eating out in Kragujevac has been something of a challenge. There are many bakeries and places to get crepes (palacinke, in Serbian). There are fast food stands a-plenty (hamburgers the size of my head) and we've found a few pizza joints. Of course there are places to get traditional Serbian foods, although we haven't been able to find them yet.

The problem, as with food shopping, is that there isn't a whole lot of variety. Serbians eat mainly Serbian food, with a little Italian thrown in. This is sad for us because in our old neighborhood we were surrounded by ethnic restaurants of all kinds. I love that the "melting pot" (cue School House Rocks) of American culture has introduced me to foods and flavors from all over the world, and I miss being able to satisfy random cravings for Indian or Thai or Japanese food.

So we were pretty excited to find that right here in Kragujevac we have our very own Chinese Restaurant. I don't know that it's very popular among Serbians, but as soon as we heard about it we practically ran there. Unfortunately, it was closed. We went back last night to celebrate the midpoint between our birthdays (this is not as cheesy as you think - our birthdays are only six days apart). We were pleasantly surprised by the food, although the menu was not as varied as I'm used to. We feasted on hot-and-sour soup, pineapple chicken, broccoli & garlic, and vegetable fried rice. They even had chopsticks. I know I'll be back, and I'll bring my Serbian friends so I can introduce them to the wonders of Asian cuisine.

I heard a wild rumor (ok, I read about it in Let's Go Eastern Europe) that there is an Indian place in Belgrade - we'll be sure to check it out next time we're there. Mmmmm... vegetable samosas.

1 comment:

oskar said...

Even the Italian food isn't all that great in my opinion! Have you found the restaurant near the police station / medical school which has nice game (wild meat)? I recommend that!