Friday, February 10, 2006

First Tango in Belgrade

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist the cheeseball title.

I finally got in touch with the tango community in Belgrade, and last Wednesday Dan and I went to our first milonga. One of the things that I love about tango is that it's instant community wherever you go. We arrived at the club 15 or 20 minutes after the milonga started, put on our shoes, and had a few warm-up dances. When we sat down for some water and a look around, we were immediately approached by one of the locals. She had spotted us as newcomers, and wanted to make sure we got properly welcomed.

I danced pretty much non-stop until the end of the milonga (oh! my tootsies are sore!), and I was impressed with the tango skills of my many partners. I'd rate just about everyone I danced with as intermediate, with a few beginners and advanced dancers mixed in. It's the perfect level for us, and I had a wonderful time. Carlos & Tova, I think I did you proud, and I received many compliments on my own style and technique.

So the Belgrade tango community gets high marks for dance skills and super-high marks for friendliness. Can't wait to go back.

Thanks to Papa Tango for telling us when the dances are, Dragana, Misa, and Bojana for being so friendly, Sasa for the lift, and Andreja for putting us up for the night even though you had an exam the next day.

No comments: